Over the past four years, I have posted a Five Days of Cinco de Mayo recipe blitz leading up the fifth of May. I do not have it in me this year to go to such creative lengths, but I do have a group of blogger friends sharing 40 Cinco de Mayo recipes today (see the links below).
Let’s be real, who needs five recipes when you can have 40?!
My contribution to this party is a tequila lime tart that is a cinch to whip up and a treat to eat. As someone who has no use for tequila outside of a margarita glass, I was delighted to find a use for the spirit in a dessert.
Just like champagne is a term reserved for wines produced in the Champagne region of France and bourbon refers only to whiskeys made in America, tequila is a term reserved for spirits produced in a handful of Mexican states, primarily Jalisco.
Like bourbon, which requires a mash bill of at least 51 percent corn, tequila also has ingredient requirements. True tequila is distilled only from the blue agave plant. Spirits derived from blue agave in any other areas of Mexico or distilled from more than just the blue agave plant are labeled mezcal.
Garden & Gun published a beautiful story about Mezcal a couple of years ago that remains well worth the read today. Now, who’s up for a tequila tasting?
- For the Crust
- 1¾ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- For the Filling
- 1, 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large eggs (you will use all 4 yolks and 2 whites)
- ½ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup tequila
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- For the Topping
- ½ pint whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 lime for zesting, if desired
- Prepare the crust by mixing together the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar.
- Press this mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a tart pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the condensed milk, four egg yolks, lime juice, and tequila.
- In a large bowl, beat two of the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Pour 1½ cups of the condensed milk mixture into the large bowl of whipped egg whites and use a rubber spatula to gently fold the mixture together.
- When the mixture is combined, add the remaining condensed mixture and again gently fold to combine.
- Pour the tart filling into the graham cracker crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for approximately 40 minutes until the filling is slightly puffed and a tester inserted into the center comes out with just a crumb or two attached.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before topping with whipped cream and lime zest if desired. To make the whipped cream, simply beat the cream and sugar together until soft peaks form.
The whipped cream topping is by all means up for interpretation. If you want a sweeter whipped cream, add more sugar, or splash in a bit of vanilla for flavor. You might also want to adjust the amount of cream you whip depending on how thick of a whipped cream topping you would like.
Margarita Granita by Feast + West
Cinco de Mayo Party Inspiration and Recipes by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
Poblano & Mushroom Tosadas by The Mexitalian
Roasted Strawberry Rhubarb Agua Fresca by Will Frolic for Food
Street Corn-style Roasted Potatoes by A Little Gathering
Pork & Black Bean Stew by think fruitful
Tequila Lime Tart by Love & Flour
Crispy Fish Tacos with Cajun Mayo by Winstead Wandering
Strawberry Watermelon Agua Fresca by A Savory Feast
Shredded Chicken Gorditas by Loves Food, Loves to Eat
Carne Asada Fries by Tornadough Alli
Mexican Carrot Dogs with Chunky Salsa Verde by Strength and Sunshine
Raspberry Lime Rickey Margaritas by Feed Me Phoebe
Slow Cooked Carnitas Style Chicken by Simple and Savory
Chicken Fajita Sandwich by Brunch-n-Bites
Cantaloupe Mint Margaritas by The Speckled Palate
Brussel Sprout, Wild Mushroom, Avocado and Feta Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa by Arthur Street Kitchen
Spiced Chocolate Ice Cream with Roasted Pepitas by Bethany Grow
Roasted Veggie Salsa by Living Well Kitchen
Seared Scallop Tacos with Spring Mango Salsa and Avocado Cream by Domesticate ME!
Blackberry Mint Agua Fresca by the Grant life
Traditional Homemade Flour Tortillas by Sustaining the Powers
Nightshade Free Southwest Salad by I Say Nomato
Southwestern Orzo Salad by Family Food on the Table
Cheesy Southwest Egg Rolls by Pink Cake Plate
Watermelon Mint Margarita by Gold & Bloom
Mix-Your-Own Guac Bar by Hey There Sunshine
Blood Orange Margaritas by Glisten and Grace
Veggie Stuffed Chiles Rellenos with Avocado Cream by Hello Little Home
Slow Cooker Red Chicken Enchiladas by Sustaining the Powers
Margerita Poke Cake by Pink Cake Plate
Mojito Cupcakes by The Rustic Willow
Margarita Shrimp Tacos by Macheesmo
Pineapple Cilantro Salsa by Feast + West
One Pot Taco Soup by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
Sizzling Texas Fajitas by Sustaining the Powers
Tequila Lime Cupcakes with Margarita Buttercream by Sugar Dish Me
Slow Cooker Chipotle Turkey Tacos by Two Places at Once
Margarita Bar by Mixplorology