Shake up your standard barbecue side. A healthy dose of curry adds warmth that complements the classic potato salad tang, making for a flavorful dish everyone can enjoy.
‘Tis the season for burgers, bratwurst, and their trusty sidekick potato salad. This year, I’m going non-traditional and adding curry to the potato salad mix.
I sense your skepticism. I too associate curry with spicy Thai and flavorful Indian dishes, not a classic German side.
In this recipe, the curry adds a slightly unexpected but pleasant flavor, resulting in a potato salad that has a tangy warmth.
The only crunch is from the bits of celery thrown in, but you can take a cue from the original recipe and add finely diced pickles for a little extra bite.
Still not sold? Perhaps this green goddess potato salad with roasted potatoes and bacon will whet your appetite. Enjoy!
Curried Potato Salad
- For the Potatoes
- 2 1/2 pounds red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- Cut the potatoes into bite-size chunks and place them in a large pot with 6 cups of water and a tablespoon of salt.
- Cover the pot and bring to a bowl over high heat. Continue to cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 3 more minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow the potatoes to remain in the hot water while you prepare the dressing.
- Stir together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, lemon juice, vinegar, and curry powder in a small bowl until well blended. The dressing may look like a pitiful amount next to the mound of potatoes you just boiled, but I promise, it is enough.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and run under cold water to cool.
- Shake any excess water from the potatoes, and transfer to a serving dish.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes, add the diced celery, and stir to coat.
- Serve immediately.
The potato salad can be made up to two days in advance. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to eat.