Sigh…The past few blog posts have not been my best. After making it over the 90-day hump, I feel like I crashed and burned out. I had so much going on in my work life and personal life this month that I didn’t really get to plan my blog posts as well as I would have liked. Case-in-point: I had no idea what to post today until I saw the weekly grocery store ads this morning and realized pears were on sale.
My mom used to bake apples with melted marshmallows floating in pools of brown sugar. They were good. Really good. So when I saw pears were cheap, I immediately thought of deceptively fancy, yet super simple baked pears with feta cheese. I am oh, so happy pears were on sale because these are delicious.
Though I don’t care for the pungent taste of feta, I was willing to give it a try. I don’t know what causes the cheese to mellow, be it the sweet or the heat, but once baked the feta cheese is no longer the prominent flavor. The salty cheese balances the sweetness of the pear, sugar and honey quite nicely to make this dish a good choice for an appetizer, side or dessert.
I don’t recall where I first saw a recipe for baked pears and feta cheese, but there are plenty of online recipes and variations. The recipe that most closely resembles what I chose to make is the baked pear with mint, feta and honey at BBC Food Recipes.
A couple of my favorite’s were Smitten Kitchen’s Vanilla Roasted Pears and Eating Well’s Riesling Baked Pears, and some other ideas I liked included using blue cheese and walnuts in place of feta or topping a round brie cheese with a baked pear. Delicious!
- 2 pears, cored and halved
- 1 tablespoon butter, quartered
- 8 teaspoons crumbled feta cheese
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Fresh mint and cinnamon, to garnish
- Place the pears, cut side up, in a baking dish.
- Place a square of the quartered butter in the wells left by the removed cores.
- Sprinkle equal amounts of feta cheese and brown sugar over each pear.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- Remove the pears from the oven and drizzle with the honey.
- Garnish with the mint sprig and cinnamon if desired.