“Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much comfort, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer.” ― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume
Brewer’s Blondies are certainly not tacos, nor are they made with beer. They are, however, rather delicious. In their original form, the bakers and writers behind the bakery and cookbook Baked named the blondies for the brewer’s malt they work into the recipe. Home bakers like you and me use malted milk powder instead.
I have failed at more than one blondie recipes in my time, but this one is a winner. The batter is thick enough to suspend all of the goodness (malted mill balls, chocolate chips and walnuts) throughout the bars instead of sinking to the bottom. My only suggestion is to grease the baking dish very well because the blondies were difficult to remove from the pan. If desired, top with whipped cream or ice cream before serving. Enjoy!
“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.” ― William Shakespeare
- 2⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons malted milk powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1¾ cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup malted milk balls, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, malted milk powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the flour mixture in two separate additions, beating until just combined.
- Fold in the malted milk balls, chocolate chips and walnuts. The batter will be very thick.
- Scoop the prepared batter into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish and smooth with a the back of a spoon (wet the spoon or coat it with non-stick cooking spray to make this less difficult).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.