Author: very slightly adapted from Parade magazine, November 11, 2012
- For the Filling
- 5 Granny Smith apples, chopped
- 1½ cups cranberries
- ¼ granulated sugar
- ¼ brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 lemon, juice of
- ½ cup (1/2 stick) butter
- For the Topping
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place all of the filling ingredients except the butter in a large bowl and toss to coat.
- Put the butter in a 9 X 13 baking dish, and then put the dish in the oven and start heating it to 350 F. Keep an eye on the dish and remove when the butter is melted.
- Meanwhile, make the topping by whisking the five topping ingredients together.
- When the dish with melted butter comes out of the oven, pour the fruit and spice filing in the dish, then layer the topping over the fruit.
- Bake for one hour or until the juices are bubbling and the topping is golden. Cover the dish with aluminum foil at any time it the topping gets too brown.
Feel free to peel your apples before chopping.
I ended up making an additional ½ batch of the topping as the yield did not appear to offer much coverage in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Recipe by Love & Flour at http://www.loveandflour.com/cobbled-together-apple-cranberry-cobbler/