Spice Cupcakes with Pumpkin Filling and Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting
Author: cupcakes from Great Grandma McCray, filling from Fresh Market via Annie's Eats, frosting from Savory Spice Shop
- For the Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- For the Filling
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- For the Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and spices together and set aside.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Slowly and alternately add the milk and flour mixture in two additions and mix until combined.
- Fill each well of a paper-lined muffin tin about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cakes comes out clean.
- To make the filling, mix together the pumpkin, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and pumpkin pie spice until well combined.
- When cupcakes are cool, simply cut a "cone" from the center, place the filling inside, and top with just the top of the removed cone (cut the excess away).
- To make the frosting, place the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and ground ginger in mixing bowl and beat until combined.
- Slowly add the confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, beating until the frosting is light and fluffy.
I halved the pumpkin dip recipe for filing purposes, but it can be easily doubled to enjoy apart from the cupcakes as well.
Recipe by Love & Flour at http://www.loveandflour.com/cupcakes/challenged-spice-cupcakes-with-pumpkin-filling-and-ginger-cream-cheese-frosting