Author: based upon a recipe at Chow.com
- 1 medium to large eggplant
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups Italian-style bread crumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
- Halve the eggplant lengthwise and scoop out the flesh.Take care not to damage the skins as they will be used to hold the filling.
- Set the shells aside and chop the flesh.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium low heat.
- Saute the chopped eggplant along with the onion and celery until soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in the tomatoes.
- While the vegetables cool, stir together the bread crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese and the egg.
- Stir together the cooked vegetables and the bread crumb mixture.
- Fill the reserved eggplant shells with the mixture and place in a lightly greased baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes. During the last few minutes of baking, sprinkle with mozzarella or another cheese of choice.
Though I used Italian-style bread crumbs, one can always use plain and season to taste.
Recipe by Love & Flour at http://www.loveandflour.com/stuffed-eggplants/