Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Author: based on a recipe seen at epicurious.com
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 large pear, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon, fully cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Pierce the clean sweet potatoes in several places with a fork and wrap with aluminum foil.
- Place the wrapped potatoes on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for approximately one hour. The potatoes should be tender when fully cooked.
- While the potatoes cool, plump the dried cranberries by placing them in a bowl and pouring warm water over them to cover (a few will float).
- While they fatten up, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the pears and sauté until tender and slightly golden, about 4 minutes.
- Drain the plump cranberries and add them to the skillet along with the walnuts, bacon, ginger, and brown sugar.
- Sauté about a minute to warm, then remove from heat.
- Cut the tops and bottoms off each potato and slit lengthwise.
- Use a fork to gently mash the pulp inside each potato.
- Mound 1 cup of the filling mixture into and onto the sweet potatoes.
- Garnish each potato with one tablespoon of crumbled feta cheese.
The amount of filling this recipe makes could easily be spread across three medium to large sweet potatoes. Simply go a bit lighter than one cup of filling per potato.
Recipe by Love & Flour at http://www.loveandflour.com/sides/stuffed-sweet-potatoes