When I first learned Elly Says Opa was hosting an Eat to the Beat event to celebrate her blog’s 5th anniversary (Five years! The past five months have been hard, let alone five years!), I put out a call for ideas. My friend Melina is a music lover, and I couldn’t wait to get her suggestion because I knew it would be something really unique. Melina wrote, “You could make blondies for Blondie’s Rapture, and put rum in them or something.”
I was disappointed. Even I had thought of blondies. Then I considered, “You could…put rum in them or something.” And I was proud.
Still not 100 percent convinced, I decided to put the idea on the shelf for a while, though not before googling Rapture‘s lyrics. The word “eat” shows up in the song 11 times. The items being eaten? Cars, bars, guitars, and one head. So, the blondies idea didn’t stay on the shelf for long. And really, a blondie suggestion from Melina is fitting.
Melina and I grew up in the same small town (or the country outside that small town), and by the time high school rolled around, we lived only a mile away from one another. We were never close friends in high school, simply by the nature of our different interests (she was a cheerleader, I played sports), but college erased those differences. We became great friends in college, even living as roommates for a couple of years, and we remain great friends to this day.
One evening we were both involved in the same event at school, and she offered to drive me into town. When I got in the car, Blondie was playing in the tape deck. I remember this only because we had a conversation about the music. I don’t remember the details, but if I was a betting woman, I’d say the song playing was Heart of Glass.
Though these Coffee Blondies do not contain rum, they do contain Kahlua. If you prefer not to engage in boozy baking, milk is a perfectly acceptable substitution. I also used a half cup of white chocolate chips and a half cup of butterscotch chips in the batter for a rich blondie treat. Enjoy!
He’s gonna eat ’em all
Rapture, be pure
‘Cause the man from Mars stopped eatin’ cars and eatin’ bars
And now he only eats guitars, get up!
- 1 tablespoon milk or Kahlua
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter, melted
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate, white chocolate, or butterscotch chips
- Heat the milk or Kahlua until very warm, about 30 seconds in a microwave.
- Stir the instant coffee powder and vanilla into the warm liquid and set aside to cool.
- Combine the melted butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl, then beat in the eggs and the cooled coffee mixture.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt and slowly add to the mixing bowl.
- Mix until well incorporated, then fold in one cup of chips in the flavor of your choice.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until the blondies are a golden brown.