Today is the first day in what I believe will be a very fun project: The Secret Recipe Club. The club assigns those who participate one blog to explore every month, and in doing so, the participant must select a recipe to make and share. I like this concept for two reasons.
First, it allows me to explore blogs I might not have otherwise found on my own. With upwards of 80 feeds in my Netvibes reader, I look at a lot of blog posts, and I always welcome more.
Second, it provides me an opportunity to learn how someone interpreted a recipe I posted. From time to time I hear from people who have tried a recipe I posted, yet I often wonder just what is really going on out there. Are readers who take what they find here into the kitchen successful or disappointed? I will soon find out!
My first assignment was to explore The Saturday Evening Pot. With a name like that, I knew this was bound to be fun! To my good fortune, I noticed quite a few shrimp recipes within its pages. When Harris Teeter recently ran a “Buy 2 Bags, Get 3 Free” promotion on shrimp, I fell for it. I can only guess I did not get my fill of shrimp cocktail over the holidays.
With five bags of frozen shrimp in my freezer, I needed to get to work. Yet as much as I wanted to eat those fruit of the sea, I was intimidated. Shrimp has a reputation of becoming gummy or tough when overcooked, and they seem very easy to overcook. Realizing I have never become good at anything simply by thinking about it, I set to work on Garlic Lime Shrimp served over pasta.
I am pleased to report this recipe is a win on multiple fronts. It is easy to prepare and results in a very flavorful dish. Just five ingredients – pasta, shrimp, lime juice, olive oil and garlic – transform into a delicious dinner in a matter of minutes. After my initial success, I made this dish again but substituted a tablespoon of fresh minced ginger for the garlic. Also delicious. Thanks for the inspiration Saturday Evening Pot, and thanks for the opportunity Secret Recipe Club. Enjoy!
- 1 8-ounce boxspaghetti style pasta (I used wheat)
- 1 pound extra large, de-veined, peeled and tail-off shrimp (20 to 25)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup lime juice (approximately 4 fresh limes)
- additional lime wedges for garnish, if desired
- Prepare the pasta according to the package directions and set aside. To prevent sticking, simply add a few drops of olive oil to the water as the pasta boils.
- Heat the olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-low heat and cook until fragrant, about three minutes.
- Next add the lime juice, followed by the shrimp.
- Saute the shrimp on one side for two to three minutes, then flip them over and allow to cook for about one minute more.The centers of the shrimp (visible from their splits across their bodies) should appear white and solid when fully cooked. Take care not to overcook.
- Pour the shrimp and the liquid from the skilled over the cooked pasta and toss or gently stir to thoroughly combine.
- Garnish with lime wedges if desired.