When maraschino cherries, Hershey Kisses, chocolate chips, and almond slivers spend an afternoon in the kitchen, chocolate cherry mice emerge. This cute idea was shared with me by yet another dear reader after being seen on Omnomicon.
To make your own mischief of mice, melt the chocolate chips in a bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water. When the chocolate is melted and smooth, dip the maraschino cherries in the chocolate. Though you need to work consistentl, you do not need to work all that fast to apply the Hershey Kiss and almond slivers to the cherry.
You may need to work a bit more quickly if you use chocolate bark rather than chocolate chips as the bark sets up more quickly than the melted chips. I found waiting a few minutes before applying the almond slivers as ears resulted in ears that held in place instead of sliding down along the body of the mouse. I treated my mice creations as more of a process than an exact recipe, so I extend my apologies regarding any lack of specifics.
These little mice would be perfect for a Twas The Night Before Christmas theme. As I was writing this post, I realized I have put a Christmas mouse on my desk for many years. When I was much younger, my mother let me tag along on a holiday open house event held by a few local merchants in my home town. At the local flower shop, Foster’s Flowers, Mom let me pick out a gift for myself. I selected a gray, ceramic mouse wearing a Santa hat and holding a striped red, white and green candy cane.
Now a grown woman, I don’t know that I should admit to keeping a childhood mouse on my desk during the holidays every year, but that little mouse reminds me of happy times. Though it is December, it is certainly not necessary to turn your mice into Christmas or holiday mice.
Perhaps your mouse will turn out to be a country mouse.
Or perhaps your mouse will turn out to be a town mouse.
Three blind mice.
If Hershey’s ever makes white chocolate kisses, we could make Vanilla (M)Ice. Whatever your mice turn out to be, I wish you fun and happy creating!
- 1 small (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries with stems attached
- 1 partial bag Hershey Kisses
- 1 partial bag chocolate chips or other chocolate for melting
- 1 partial bag almond slivers
- Drain the cherries and set aside on a paper towel.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler, stirring frequently.
- Remove the bowl of melted chocolate from the stove.
- Hold a cherry by its stem and dip in the melted chocolate.
- Set the cherry on wax paper to begin to dry.
- Place an unwrapped Hershey Kiss at the front of each cherry to create a mouse head.
- Place an almond slice on either side of the Hershey Kiss head to make mouse ears.