It should not have taken me this long to realize I should quit spending money on store-bought chocolates. With just five ingredients, I can make a delicious chocolate bark at home. All it takes is melting some dark chocolate and toasting some almonds and quinoa.
Almonds are called for in the original recipe, pistachios or even dried cranberries would make a nice substitution. How about heat things up by adding a sprinkle of cayenne to the melted chocolate? Here is a list of ten best chocolate bark mix-ins to further inspire you
While there are really no limits to the things you can mix in to a chocolate bark, I do ask that you toast the quinoa. It brings out a nice nutty flavor that makes it the star of this recipe. Enjoy!
Quinoa Chocolate Bark
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound dark chocolate, chopped
- Place the olive oil in a saucepan over medium low heat.
- When the oil is warm, add the quinoa and allow it to toast until lightly browned, about five minutes. Perform this step as if you were heating popcorn kernels, lightly shaking the saucepan back and forth over the heat.
- Stir together the toasted quinoa, toasted almonds, and sea salt. Reserve about three tablespoons of the mixture to sprinkle on top of the bark.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler and in the microwave. If using a microwave, heat in 30 second increments, stirring after each interval, until fully melted.
- Pour the remainder of the quinoa and almond mixture into the melted chocolate and stir until thoroughly coated.
- Spread the chocolate mixture onto a sheet of parchment paper and top with the reserved quinoa and almonds.
- Allow to sit until set, about two hours.
- Break into pieces and enjoy.
To toast the almonds or other nuts, simply place them on a baking tray and allow them to sit in an oven heated to 350 degrees for a few minutes. They are done when their aroma infuses the air. Keep a close eye on the nuts during this step because they can burn very quickly.