My last attempt at quinoa recipes (for a while anyway) was born from memories of my first granola-making experience and a bunch of leftover ingredients that were hanging out in the pantry waiting to be put to use. My habit to take what I have on hand and make something edible has a tendency to result in questionable dishes, but this cereal turned out quite nicely.
The main players – quinoa, oats, and wheat germ – are supported in this version by pecans and golden raisins, then sweetened and spiced with agave nectar, cardamom, and cinnamon. I also threw in some toasted coconut for good measure. I based the recipe’s ingredients off a Claire Robinson 5 Ingredient Fix Food Network (would one of those descriptors have been sufficient?) Granola Topping recipe I used in the past. Hence the leftover wheat germ and agave nectar.
The best part about a granola recipe is its openness to play. Don’t like raisins? Then how about adding Craisins or dried apricots? Unable to tolerate nuts or wheat germ? Substitute sunflower seeds or sprinkle in a little bit of flaxseed. There is really quite a bit that can be done here to create a nutritious, low-cost breakfast cereal.
Or…if you do not like to eat granola-type cereals, then sprinkle the quinoa cereal over a fruit and yogurt parfait. I also really enjoy topping a dish of vanilla ice cream with the mixture to add a little crunch.
In need of more ideas? View my Quinoa board on Pinterest for more recipes, including a warm breakfast cereal. Enjoy!
- 1½ cups quinoa
- 1¼ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, stir together all of the ingredients except the agave nectar.
- Once the ingredients are well combined, add the agave syrup and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to the a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 300 degrees F until golden, about 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.