A recent stop along my journey to find a way to enjoy quinoa found me at Coconut Quinoa from The Inspired Vegan. How can you go wrong with coconut, right? (I can almost hear cheers from the coconut lovers and sounds resembling “blech” from the coconut haters).
As I took the pot of coconut quinoa off the stove, I asked one of my nearest and dearest to taste test. Our conversation went like this:Me: Hey, will you please try this? N&D: Mmm, that’s really good. Me: Really? I just don’t know. N&D: It’s not supposed to taste like cake! Me: But you can use it in cake!
Our conversation would likely have been quite different had it occurred a day or two later. Given a little time, the coconut flavor really had time to really sink into the quinoa. It still was not like eating a Mounds candy bar, or cake for that matter, but the quinoa had lost most of its earthy flavor that I do not enjoy.
Along with broken hearts and wine, my Things That Improve Over Time list now includes coconut quinoa. Speaking of wine, it’s Friday evening. I’m off to have a glass. Enjoy the weekend!
Need more recipe inspiration?
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons dried coconut
- Combine the coconut milk, water and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then add the quinoa and coconut.
- Return to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and keep covered to steam for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.