tart: noun - a small pie filled with cooked fruit or other sweetened preparation, usually having no top crust
tart: verb phrase - tart up; Slang – to adorn, dress, or decorate, especially in a flamboyant manner
Use in a sentence: Thinly sliced apples coated in cinnamon and sugar are a great way to tart up a sheet of puff pastry.
This apple cinnamon tart is yet another dessert I have wanted to make for a very long time, and I was very pleased with the results. Not only did the preparation, baking and clean up take less than hour, the tart looked fantastic and tasted delicious.
Like pigs in a blanket, I wrapped the pieces of puff pastry left over from cutting the sheet into a circle around a few extra apple slices and baked them when the tart came out of the oven. Notice there are no pictures of those little beauties. I devoured them too quickly for photos.
If ever you need to pull together a quick fall dessert, this is your tart. If you would like to take a bit more time, try making your own homemade puff pastry. Or if you are in a savory mood, click on over for a savory tart recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed per package directions
- 3 medium apples
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry sheet until you can cut a 12-inch circle from the sheet. Use a plate as a guide to cut the circle.
- Place the pastry sheet on a greased baking sheet and refrigerate.
- If desired, peel the apples. Then cut the apples in half lengthwise, remove cores, and cut crosswise into very thin slices.
- Arrange the apples on the pastry round in concentric circles so the rounded sides of the slices face out and overlap by about ½ inch. Leave a ½ inch border around the edges of the tart.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle over the apples, taking care not to sprinkle the mixture on the pastry border as the sugar will burn.
- Slice the butter into 15 to 18 thin slices and lay the butter slices over the apples.
- Lightly whisk the egg in another small bowl and brush over the pastry border.
- Bake at 375 F until the apples are tender and the puff pastry sheet has browned.
- Allow to cool just slightly, then top with whipped cream or ice cream to serve.