Risotto with Butternut Squash
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups (one box) chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup risotto
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme or sage
- zest of one lemon
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Toss butternut squash with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the butternut squash in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in a 400 degree oven until tender, about 25 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- While the squash roasts, bring the broth to a boil and the simmer over low heat.
- Also while the squash roasts, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until softened, about six minutes.
- Place the risotto in the skillet with the onion and garlic and cook,stirring constantly, for two minutes.
- Pour the wine into the skillet and stir constantly until absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth, the thyme or sage, and the lemon zest to the skillet.
- Stir frequently until the wine is absorbed.
- Continue to add the broth 1/2 cup at a time to the skillet, stirring frequently after each addition until absorbed.
- When the risotto is tender, about 30 minutes, remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Gently fold in the butternut squash and garnish with the thyme or sage.
Recipe by Love & Flour at https://www.loveandflour.com/butternut-squash-risotto/