Caramel Garam Masala Popcorn & Pistachios
8 cups popped popcorn (approximately 1/4 heaping cup of kernels)
1 cup roasted and shelled pistachios
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons garam masala
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt, optional
- Spread the popcorn and pistachios across a large pan or baking dish and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the garam masala and cook until aromatic, about one minute.
- Add the brown sugar and the corn syrup and continue to cook, stirring often, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil.
- When the mixture reaches a boil, begin stirring constantly and cook for another three to four minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the baking soda. This will lighten the color of and expand the caramel.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn and pistachios and stir to combine. It's okay that the mixture will not evenly cover the popcorn.
- If using the sea salt, sprinkle it over the caramel popcorn now.
- Bake the caramel popcorn at 250 degrees F for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes to distribute the caramel throughout the popcorn.
- After the hour, set the caramel corn aside to cool, continuing to stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Serve within a few hours or store in an airtight container for a few days.
Recipe by Love & Flour at https://www.loveandflour.com/caramel-masala-popcorn-with-pistachios/