Chewy Chai Snickerdoodles
Yield 24 cookies
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, allspice, and pepper. Set aside. These are your dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, cream cheese, and butter together until light and fluffy, about two minutes.
- Add the oil and continue to beat until incorporated.
- Next add the egg, milk, and vanilla and beat until combined. These are your wet ingredients.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients and mix until incorporated. The dough will be very soft.
- As such, refrigerate your dough for 20-30 minutes until it's firm enough to scoop with a tablespoon and form into balls.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom coating.
- Roll the cookie dough balls in the coating mixture and place about two-inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. The cookies will spread, so be sure to leave those two-inches of space.
- Return the baking sheets of cookie dough to the oven for another 10 minutes (or longer) before baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes until the edges of the cookies are set.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Refrigerating the cookie dough twice - once before rolling into balls and once before placing in the oven - will make it easier to work with this soft dough and keep the snickerdoodles from spreading into a flat mess while baking.
Recipe by Love & Flour at https://www.loveandflour.com/chai-spice-snickerdoodles/