Date and Nut Butter Sweet Bites
Yield 36 small candies
7 ounces (approximately 6) Medjool dates
2 teaspoons nut butter of your choice (peanut, almond, etc.)
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
- Process the pitted dates in a food processor until somewhat smooth.
- Add the nut butter and sea salt and process until combined. The mixture will resemble a sticky paste.
- Transfer the date and nut butter mixture to a different bowl and place in the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- Scoop rounded teaspoons of the mixture, form into small balls, and place on a small cookie sheet or plate. You may want to coat your fingers with non-stick cooking spray to help cut down on the stickiness of this step.
- Place the small balls you formed in the freezer to firm up while you make the chocolate coating.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate and coconut oil, stirring until smooth. You can also use the microwave, heating in 30-second increments, if you prefer.
- Dip each ball in the melted chocolate, use a fork to coat, and then tap or shake off the excess.
- Place the chocolate-dipped balls on a silicone mat or piece of parchment and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer and enjoy them chilled.
Never underestimate the heat that a bowl of chocolate you heat in the microwave retains. After 30 seconds, you might think the chocolate has not melted at all, but give it a good stir, and you will see that it has. Be gentle with the heat so you don't burn the chocolate.
Recipe by Love & Flour at https://www.loveandflour.com/date-and-nut-butter-bites/