Ginger Peach Muffins
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup plus two tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped and unpeeled peaches (from 1-2 large to medium peaches)
- optional: coarse sugar and crystallized ginger
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, melted butter, sugar, and buttermilk. Make sure the butter is slightly cooled; it will cook the egg if it is piping hot.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, ground ginger, and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients from the medium bowl into the dry ingredients in the large bowl and stir until almost, but not fully combined. There should be bits of unincorporated flour still visible.
- Add the peaches into the batter and fold the batter to incorporate the fruit and fully mix the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the wells of a paper-lined muffin tin. There should be enough batter to fill the wells 3/4 of the way full.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar (like Sugar in the Raw) or press a few bits of chopped crystallized ginger into the tops.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-30 minutes until the tops are golden brown and firm to the touch.
The muffins will keep frozen in a well-sealed freezer bag for up to one month.
Recipe by Love & Flour at https://www.loveandflour.com/ginger-peach-muffins/