Happy New Year’s Eve! After a wonderful week that included visiting with family and friends, I have begun to look forward to the new year.
Tonight, I have been invited to a party. I would prefer to stay at home and relax on the couch with a book, but I decided to kick-start my resolutions by getting out of my comfort zone. If you find yourself in need of a little resolution inspiration, I found the lists 32 Things You Should Stop Caring About and 25 Things You Need to Forget About rather enlightening.
Last year, I wanted to practice yoga on a more regular basis and to bake a galette, a Charlotte, and Baked Alaska. I succeeded at the yoga and the galette. I did not even attempt the Charlotte and Baked Alaska, and perhaps surprising myself, I did not care. Preferences change, and I decided I simply was not in the mood. Maybe I will get around to those desserts this year and maybe I will not. Either way, I’m sure it will be fine. I really do not see a problem with making resolutions any time during the year.
The two times per year my girlfriends and I get it together enough to make it to brunch, we typically find ourselves at a restaurant that serves a very similar drink. It is delicious, refreshing, and the perfect use for winter citrus. As suggested in the original recipe, the rosemary-infused simple syrup is also a great sweetener for lemonade. Enjoy!
Sparkling Rosemary Grapefruit Soda
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 cup grapefruit juice (about two grapefruits)
- 5 cups club soda or plain sparkling water
- Ice, for serving
- Rosemary sprigs, for garnishing
- Combine the plain water, granulated sugar and rosemary in a saucepan over high heat.
- Stir occasionally until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot to the touch, about three to five minutes.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and allow it to sit for at least 30 minutes. This will allow the rosemary flavor to infuse throughout the syrup.
- When the time has passed, use a mesh strainer (or colander in a pinch) to strain the syrup into a pitcher. Discard the strained rosemary.
- Add the grapefruit juice and stir to combine.
- Immediately before serving, add the club soda or sparkling water and again stir to combine.
- Serve over ice and garnish each glass with sprig of rosemary.