Whip up a batch of red velvet cake donuts for a special breakfast treat. The light chocolate flavor pairs perfectly with the cream cheese glaze. And don’t forget the sprinkles! Donuts bring great joy to my life. I can’t fully explain why. Maybe it’s the memory of stopping by my small town’s donut shop every…
A recent stop along my journey to find a way to enjoy quinoa found me staring down this coconut quinoa. How can you go wrong with coconut, right? As I took the pot of coconut quinoa off the stove, I asked a friend to taste test. Our conversation went like this:
Me: Hey, will you please try this?
Friend: Mmm, that’s really good.
Me: Really? I just don’t know.
Friend: It’s not supposed to taste like cake!
True, but you can use it in cake!
Our conversation would likely have been quite different had it occurred a day or two later. Given a little time, the coconut flavor had time to really sink into the quinoa. It was not like eating a Mounds candy bar, but the quinoa had lost most of its earthy flavor that I do not enjoy. So now, along with broken hearts and wine, my Things That Improve Over Time list includes coconut quinoa. Enjoy!
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons dried coconut
- Combine the coconut milk, water and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then add the quinoa and coconut.
- Return to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and keep covered to steam for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.