I recently learned there are those among us who strongly dislike mint paired with chocolate. These are people who enjoy a bite of chocolate and do not hesitate to pick up an after-dinner mint, but put the two together and nope, no can do.
On the other hand, I am absolutely delighted by the match. From scoops of bright green mint ice cream dotted with chocolate flecks to the green and brown layers of an Andes mint, I have no argument with the combo. Hence, these minty rocky road brownies.
Flavored with Brancamenta – the mint version of the digestif Fernet-Branca – these fudgy brownies have a mint flavor that is subtle but not over the top. What puts them over the the top is, well, their topping.
For that, I turned to another of my favorite things to pair with chocolate, marshmallows, to create a rocky road topping complete with mint chocolate chips and walnuts. Not a bad way to enjoy a dessert. Enjoy!
Brancamenta Brownies with Minty Rocky Road Topping
- For the brownies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup high-quality chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Brancamenta, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- For the brownie topping
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup mint chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or other nut of your choice)
- Cut the butter into large pieces and place in a heatproof bowl with 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Melt the mixture in the microwave or over a saucepan of simmering water. If using the microwave, heat the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes then stir and return to the microwave for 1 minute increments until melted. If using a saucepan, stir occasionally until just melted.
- Once melted and combined, stir 3 tablespoons of the Brancamenta, the sugars, and the salt into the bowl.
- Next add the eggs and stir to combine.
- Finally, add the flour and stir until just combined.
- Butter an 8-inch-square baking pan, line with parchment paper, and then butter the paper.
- Spread the brownie batter in the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out with moist crumbs attached when done.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and brush their top with the remaining tablespoon of Brancamenta.
- Next sprinkle the tops with the marshmallows, mint chocolate chips, and nuts.
- Return to the oven another 3-5 minutes until the marshmallows are puffy and the chocolate chips are shiny.
- Allow to cool completely, then cut into squares for serving.
Cutting the brownies is a messy proposition that will go much more smoothly if you lightly spray the blade of your knife with non-stick cooking spray.
This post was created in celebration of National Brownie Day. I received a Whole Foods gift card to help offset the cost of ingredients for this recipe.