Pumpkin Apple Muffins
Yield 15 muffins
For the muffins
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup extra virgin olive or canola oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
For the Streusel Topping
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold butter
1/3 cup chopped almonds
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, ground cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and ground ginger in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth and well combined.
- Stir the diced apple into the large bowl of wet ingredients, then pour all of the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients.
- Allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make the streusel topping.
- Stir together the flour, brown sugar, and salt.
- Cut the cold better into small pieces and rub it into the flour, sugar, and salt mixture until it starts to form a crumbly dough.
- Stir in the chopped almonds.
- Scoop the muffin batter into the wells of a paper-lined muffin tin - filling nearly to the top - and generously sprinkle with the streusel topping.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of a few muffins will come out clean when the muffins are done.
- Allow to cool in the muffin pan for a few minutes until cool enough to handle, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
Unlike most baked goods that taste the most divine soon after they come out of the oven, the flavor in these muffins is actually better the next day. The muffins also keep well in the freezer.
Pecans or walnuts will also work well for the streusel topping if you prefer them over almonds.
Recipe by Love & Flour at https://www.loveandflour.com/pumpkin-apple-muffins/