Sausage, Gnocchi, and Squash Skillet
Yield 4 servings
1 pound ground sausage
4 tablespoons butter
16 fresh sage leaves
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 heaping cups cubed and peeled butternut squash
Salt and pepper
1 cup dry white wine
1 1/2- 2 cups chicken stock
1 pound gnocchi
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- Next add the butter to the hot cast-iron skillet. Add the sage to the melted butter and cook until crispy, about 2-5 minutes. Transfer the sage to a separated paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- Now add the garlic to the still-hot cast-iron skillet. Stir until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes, then add the butternut squash and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the white wine to the skillet with the squash and cook, stirring often, until the liquid starts to reduce, about 1-2 minutes.
- Next add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the stock (depending on how much sauce you want), and bring to a boil.
- Add the sausage back to the skillet and transfer the entire dish to an oven heated to 475 degrees.
- Roast until the squash is tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Near the end of the roasting time, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the gnocchi and cook until they float to the surface, about 3 minutes. Do not overcook!
- Drain the gnocchi and add to the skillet with the squash and sausage.
- Top with the crisped sage leaves and top with grated cheese for serving.
Instead of a whole butternut squash, I bought a 32-ounce package of peeled and cubed squash and used about 2/3 of it for this recipe.
Recipe by Love & Flour at https://www.loveandflour.com/sausage-gnocchi-and-squash-skillet/