Alternative title: Messing Up and Letting it Go. You see, I was supposed to post this last week. I sit down at 8 p.m. last Sunday and realize I knocked off everything on my “get done” list except my SRC post. And that is because it was not on there to begin with.
Ever had that bad feeling when you realize way too late that someone was counting on you to do something that you not only did not do but completely forgot about in the process? My only defense is I thought it was this weekend, despite the numerous written communications I had that assured me no, it was in fact last weekend. Whoops.
The good news? After I realized what I had done, I owned it and moved on. No beating myself up about it like I typically do. No feeling guilty. Just a, well sh*t, a heart-felt apology, and moving on to set it as right as I possibly could.
On that note, I am happy to (finally) announce my Secret Recipe Club pick for the month was Slow Cooker Adobo Chicken from Ilona’s Kitchen. My mistake for waiting to make this at the last minute because it is delicious.
Yeah, yeah, I know us so-called food bloggers say all of the food we make is stunningly delightful, but I promise you, this is. That said, a few of the reviews I read online noted the vinegar made the chicken a bit too tart. While there is a certain “tang” present, it is certainly not over powering. The caveat to that may be that I am used to vinegar-based Carolina barbecue, so perhaps I am just used to that particular flavor.
If you are interested, give it a try. Not only is it tasty, but it is also a cinch. I put the dish together as I was waiting for a pot of coffee to brew on Saturday morning, and by mid-afternoon, I had lunch. As you can see, I served mine in tortillas, but there is really no end to the things you could do with it. Add it to a pile of leafy greens, make chicken salad, or bake it into a dish of macaroni and cheese. Just don’t wait to make it like I did. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Adobo Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- For Serving
- green onions
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Season the chicken breasts with the black pepper and paprika. Set aside.
- Combine the onion, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and bay leaf in a slow cooker.
- Next place the seasoned chicken into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for six hours, flipping the chicken halfway through cooking time.
- When fully cooked, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place in a large bowl. Use two forks to pull the chicken apart into shreds.
- Serve with tortillas, tomatoes, green onions, shredded cheese and sour cream.
The original recipe did not specify if the cooking time was for frozen or thawed chicken. After six hours, my thawed chicken was fully cooked. You may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.