In December, I am all about healthy, nutritious foods. Given how health conscious I am this time of year, when I found a recipe with protein powerhouse quinoa and vitamin-rich spinach, I knew I had to make it.
I am also telling outright lies.
In reality, I’m pretty sure I’ve consumed close to three dozen cookies and half a dozen beers over the course of the past week. A healthy dose of chips and wine was also in the mix. This is why, despite the Buckeye Brownies and countless other sweets on Edesia’s Notebook, I opted for the wholesome quinoa.
My December Secret Recipe Club match, Edesia’s Notebook is written by Lesa who gets bored with the same dishes, no matter how good they are. She also prefers simple recipes that are easy to pull together for a weeknight dinner. I have perused her blog quite a bit since joining the SRC earlier this year, and there really is something for everyone on there.
I modified the Turkey Spinach Bacon Quinoa recipe she shared a few weeks ago by leaving out the turkey, adding some mushrooms, and swapping the stock. It lends itself to myriad variations so you can make your own swaps to use up what you like or have on hand. In my case, this was fresh instead of frozen spinach. Find a way to make it your own. Enjoy!
Bacon Spinach Mushroom Quinoa
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cupquinoa
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry or 1 cup fresh spinach
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet (cast iron works well) over medium heat. Remove when fully cooked and crumble when cool.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the skillet with the bacon grease and cook until they begins to soften, about five minutes.
- Add the garlic and quinoa and fry until the quinoa is well toasted, about five more minutes.
- Pour in the stock. Reduce heat to low-med, and cover to simmer.
- After 10 minutes, add the spinach.
- Continue to simmer until the liquid is absorbed.