When dessert for breakfast is in order, s’mores muffins answer the call. These graham cracker muffins are studded chocolate chips and topped with marshmallow creme for a delightful sweet bite.
I’ve been enjoying a boring summer. A summer of slacking off, some might say.
Then today, I scrolled past a picture of children with a caption that read, “We’re back to school!” and about lost my mind.
Someone needs to check the lost and found for this thing called time.
Gosh, I used to love August. There was something about the way the heat felt like it hung lower in the air. Like you could reach out and wear it. Then evening, and a break from that heat, setting in just a little earlier.
The cicadas chirping. The county fair. Anticipation of the first day of school, and that hope of beginning anew in the last third of the year.
In the back of your mind, one teeny-tiny thought that it would be Christmas before we know it.
Now in modern-day August, school is already starting, and I haven’t even had a s’mores yet this summer! I probably still won’t get to that, but these s’mores muffins are a good stand in.
Essentially a graham cracker muffin with chocolate chips and some marshmallow creme on top, these muffins are easy to bake and fun on days when dessert for breakfast is in order.
And let’s be honest, those days are always the best days. Enjoy!
Yield 12 muffins
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, melted
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
at least 3/4 cup marshmallow creme
optional: additional chocolate chips or mini-chocolate chips for decorating
- Toss the chocolate chips with two teaspoons of the flour and set aside.
- Whisk the remaining flour together with the graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, milk, vanilla, and eggs until smooth.
- Pour this smooth liquid mixture into the large bowl with the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and flour you set aside to kick-off this muffin-making endeavor.
- Divide the batter among the paper-lined wells of a muffin tin, pouring each about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- When the muffins are fully cooled, top each with a small dollop marshmallow creme and sprinkle with chocolate chips to decorate, if desired.
I bought a box of crushed graham cracker crumbs for this recipe. If you crush your own, about 15 whole crackers should yield about 1 1/2 cups, according to the original recipe.