Yield 2 1/2 dozen cookies
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, ground cinnamon, chipotle chile powder, and salt. Set aside. These are your dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugars, butter, and shortening.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs and vanilla extract to the large bowl and stir until combined. These are your wet ingredients.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop the cookie dough and form it into balls. You may want to refrigerate the dough for a few minutes to make the soft dough easier to roll into balls.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, cinnamon, and chipolte chile powder coating.
- Roll the cookie dough balls in the coating mixture and place about two-inches apart on greased or parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes until the edges of the cookies are set.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
The cookies will be puffy when you remove them from the oven but will deflate as they cool.
Recipe by Love & Flour at https://www.loveandflour.com/spiced-snickerdoodles/