Strawberry Basil Bourbon Lemonade
- For the Strawberry Syrup
- 1 pound strawberries
- 2 cups water, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- For the Lemonade
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 3 lemons)
- 8 - 16 basil leaves
- ice, for serving
- Hull and halve the strawberries and place them along with 1/4 cup of water in a blender or food processor and process until pureed.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium saucepan and add an additional 1 3/4 cups water.
- Heat the mixture over medium-high heat until just boiling, then stir in the sugar until dissolved.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and chill the strained syrup for at least one hour. Go ahead and discard the solids you strained from the syrup.
- When you are ready to serve the lemonade, combine the chilled strawberry syrup, bourbon, water, and lemon juice and stir until fully combined.
- Muddle a basil leaf or two into a glass, add ice, then pour the lemonade over top.
I left out the Angostura bitters here, but it is worth adding a dash to each glass if you have them on hand. The original recipe called for adding one ounce of bitters to the full pitcher of lemonade you mix up.You may want to plan for a few additional basil sprigs or lemon wheels for garnishing.
Recipe by Love & Flour at https://www.loveandflour.com/strawberry-basil-bourbon-lemonade/