Swedish Visiting Cake Bars
Yield 9 squares
For the topping
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
For the bars
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
8 tablespoons (1 stick or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
optional: confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Start by making the topping. Place the sugar in a medium bowl, and pour the egg whites over the sugar.
- Gently mix until the sugar is moistened.
- Next add the almonds and stir until coated with the sugar and egg white mixture.
- Set the topping aside while you make the bars.
- To make the bars, whisk the sugar, eggs, and salt together in a large bowl until the mixture lightens in color and thickens a little, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Use a spatula to gently stir in the flour.
- When the flour is fully incorporated, gradually fold in the melted butter. The batter will be thick and shiny when it comes together.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking pan lined with parchment paper. The layer of batter will be thin.
- Stir the topping you set aside earlier and spread it out across the batter. Use a spatula or your hands to spread the almonds evenly over the mixture, making sure to get the nuts into the corners too.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 28 to 32 minutes. The topping will look pale golden brown and a tester inserted into the center of the cake will come out clean with only a few crumbs stuck to it when done.
- Allow the bars to cool for about 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edges of the pan, unmold the bars onto the rack, and very gently peel away the parchment paper.
- When the bars cool to room temperature, slice them into nine squares or go a step further and halve each square on the diagonal to for 18 triangles.
- If desired, dust the bars with confectioners' sugar just before serving.
If you’d like a deeper color on the topping, run the bars under the broiler until you get the shade you like best.
Recipe by Love & Flour at https://www.loveandflour.com/swedish-visiting-cake-bars/