Tequila Lime Tart
For the Crust
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar
For the Filling
1, 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
4 large eggs, separated (you will use all 4 yolks but just 2 whites)
1/2 cup lime juice
1/4 cup tequila
1 tablespoon sugar
For the Topping
1/2 pint whipping cream
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1 lime for zesting, if desired
- Prepare the crust by mixing together the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar.
- Press this mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a tart pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the condensed milk, four egg yolks, lime juice, and tequila.
- In a large bowl, beat the two egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of the condensed milk mixture into the large bowl of whipped egg whites and use a rubber spatula to gently fold the mixture together.
- When combined, add the remaining condensed milk mixture and gently fold again to combine.
- Pour the tart filling into the graham cracker crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for approximately 40 minutes until the filling is slightly puffed and a tester inserted into the center comes out with just a crumb or two attached.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before topping with whipped cream and lime zest if desired.
- To make the whipped cream, simply beat the cream and sugar together until soft peaks form.
The crust measurements should fit a 9-inch round tart pan or 8-x-12 rectangular tart pan as seen here.
The whipped cream topping is by all means up for interpretation. If you want a sweeter whipped cream, add more sugar. Splash in a bit of vanilla for flavor. You might also want to adjust the amount of cream you whip depending on how thick of a whipped cream topping you would like.
Recipe by Love & Flour at https://www.loveandflour.com/tequila-lime-tart/